Race #27 – Bunny Run 5k – Concord NC – 04/11/09


Although we were scheduled to run the All-Star 5k in Asheville this weekend, when we hopped out of bed this morning we decided to change ears and head over to the Bunny Run 5k in Concord instead. I didn’t have a picture of the race logo so I’ll take this opportunity to attach a picture of my 4-month-old granddaugther Eva wearing her bunny ears.
I think all of that running I’ve been doing in Asheville is starting to pay off because the considerable number of hills didn’t seem to phase me today, and I finished first in my age group and 24th overall out of 225 runners with a time of 22:55, which is my new 5k personal record (yay!).
In addition, as opposed to last week’s 10k in which I walked a total of 10 times, this week I ran without any walk breaks at all. It’s not something I planned really, but I just do these little mental checks often in a race and ask myself if I feel like I’m about to croak, and today my ultimate demise didn’t seem to be imminent so I just kept on running.
The age group awards in this race were exceptionally nice — a nicely engraved (and informative) plexiglass plaque designed like an Easter egg (I think).
There were some disappointing things about this race such as the after-race food, which was practically nonexistent, and the parking, which was probably about a mile from the race finish. There was a bus that would shuttle you back to the parking lot, but the weather was nice so we decided to walk.
The walk back to the car ended up being the highlight of the race. Linda and I walked back with Margaret Hagerty, a legend among senior runners. Margaret started running at the age of 64, and now at the age of 86 she has completed 80 marathons and is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest person to complete a marathon on 7 different continents! We were mesmerized by her stories, especially about her experience running the marathon in Antartica, and when we reached the parking lot I was kind of wishing we could walk farther just to hear some more of her experiences.
6 – 4/6 Number of Participants (4 for less than 100; 6 for 100 or more)
9 – 1-10 Awards (Quality of medals, trophies, etc.) (1 to 10)
6 – 1-10 Awards Presentation (PA system, stating winning times, etc.) (1 to 10)
2 – 1-10 Food for Race Participants (1 to 10)
4 – 1-10 T-Shirts (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
4 – 4/6 Part of Race Series (Grand Prix, etc.) (6=Yes and 4=No)
0 – 0/5 Professional Photography (5=Yes and 0=No)
6 – 4/6 Chip Timing (6=Yes and 4=No)
7 – 3/7 Certified Course (by USA Track & Field) (7=Yes and 3=No)
3 – 1-10 Course (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
3 – 1-10 Parking (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
4 – 1-10 Entertainment (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
7 – 3/7 Age Groups (7 if 5-year groups; 3 if 10-year groups)
0 – 0/5 Indoor Shelter from Elements (0 if none; 5 if provided)
3 – 1-10 Bathroom Facilities
0 – 1-10 Other
TOTAL – 64

Comments

  1. awesome! you inspire me. My goal is to run a 5K by September. Just trying to find one to sign up for. Lisa--lisaamm@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recent Popular Posts

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11