Race #47 – Blue Points 5k (Carolina Panthers) – Charlotte NC – 08/08/09


Maybe I was just pumped up because we were heading to the beach for the first time this year after the race, but I really didn’t notice the hills I’ve heard everybody talking about in this race. My chip time of 21:41 was just 2 seconds off my PR although my gun time was 21:49, but I’m happy anytime I finish in under 22 minutes these days and I ended up 3rd in the 55-59 age group.

Because of road construction the route had to be reversed at the last minute, and I’m sure that was a good idea after running through the construction mess in the last half mile or so. It would have been a disaster for all 1300 runners to hit that point at nearly the same time, so reversing the direction gave us some time to spread out.

We’re back home now (Monday) but I’m behind on my work so I hope nobody minds that I’m keeping this short… just didn’t want anybody to think I broke a leg and they had to shoot me.

Just a couple other points: the Panthers cheerleaders handed out the awards, which of course was a nice touch. The awards stunk (glasses again) but the cheerleaders were really cute. Before the race it was announced that we should park in a nearbly lot that was $5. There was so much traffic that I ended up taking an accidental turn and parked across the street in another parking deck, and that one had FREE parking and hardly anybody was parked there.

By the way, I did a 10-mile run at Myrtle Beach on Sunday morning from Long Bay Resort, where we were staying, down to the old Pavilion area, and back. It was a beautiful run and my first time to run at the beach. As I was running back I ran a couple miles with another runner who happened to be on the beach, Jim Devine, who also ran this race the day before… small world!

I’m adding a slideshow of some photos I took at the Blue Points 5k (it’s been a couple weeks since the race). Sorry for the delay! You can download the high quality originals (3000 x 4000) for free by clicking on the slideshow and going to the Picasa site.
Race Rating
8 – 1-10 Website (Informaton, results, registration, photo links, etc.)
3 – 1-10 Awards (Quality of medals, trophies, etc.) (1 to 10)
8 – 1-10 Awards Presentation (PA system, winning times, etc.) (1 to 10)
4 – 1-10 Food for Race Participants (1 to 10)
5 – 1-10 T-Shirts (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
6 – 4/6 Part of Race Series (Grand Prix, etc.) (6=Yes and 4=No)
0 – 0/5 Professional Photography (5=Yes and 0=No)
6 – 4/6 Chip Timing (6=Yes and 4=No)
7 – 3/7 Certified Course (by USA Track & Field) (7=Yes and 3=No)
4 – 1-10 Course (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
4 – 1-10 Parking (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
8 – 1-10 Entertainment (1 to 10 with 5 being average)
7 – 3/7 Age Groups (7 if 5-year groups; 3 if 10-year groups)
0 – 0/5 Indoor Shelter from Elements (0 if none; 5 if provided)
7 – 1-10 Bathroom Facilities
0 – 0-10 Other
TOTAL – 77

Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12