Race #494 -- Jaycees Summer Kickoff 5k -- Belmont, NC -- 06/06/2021


Another local 5k, but this week it was well organized and well managed, and with lots of friends present it was a lot of fun. 

There was a staggered start because of the coronavirus, which seems unnecessary, but for some reason it's still being done. I'd prefer that everybody starts at the same time, allowing racers to compete head-to-head, but I'm also not above taking advantage of the situation either. I opted to start at the very back of the pack, where I could get a little bit of a running start, pass a lot of slower runners instead of being passed by so many faster runners, and, most importantly, escape the head-to-head battle with Steve Staley that I knew was coming if I stayed in front. Admittedly, both Steve and I run better if we're competing head-to-head, but it's a lot easier if I take the more cowardly approach of just doing my best, all by myself, and seeing how things turn out.

Turns out that it worked okay for me. We weren't sure of the final results for a while, and Steve half-kiddingly told me he'd be a little perturbed (in so many words) if I ended up beating him by 1 second. Sure enough, when the dust settled, I had finished less than 2 seconds ahead of Steve. Tim Hepler, who had started a few seconds ahead of me near the back of the pack, beat us both by 10 seconds or so.

It's funny how no matter how you're running, if you're competing in the local races there are always people you end up with time after time until one of you gets faster (or slower), then somebody else is there to take their place. For now, Tim and Steve are giving me all the competition I can handle.

Race Name:  Jaycees Summer Kickoff 5k

Location:  Belmont, North Carolina

Date: June 5, 2021

Race Rating:  82

Top 10:

Course:


My Splits:


Weather at Start:






My Stats:

  • Time:  24:56
  • Pace:  7:55
  • Age Group (65-69):  1 of 4  
  • Overall:  29 of 100
  • Average Heart Rate:   153
  • Maximum Heart Rate:  163
  • Age Grade Percentage:  69.92%
The elevation is not shown on this chart, but it was an out-and-back course with a long downhill on the way out and a long uphill on the way back. Shortly after the turnaround, I walked 3 times just because I was tired. After that, I reminded myself that I'm not supposed to walk unless my heart rate goes too high (over 160). Once I gathered my wits I was able to make it to the finish without another walk break. I didn't hit 160 (the red line on the graph) until the 3-mile mark. Weird, I know.


***************
* RACE RATING *
***************

RACE COURSE 
3 - Chip & Gun Timing: (3 points if yes)
2 - Water Stops: (0)none  (2)normal  (5)extras [Gu, sports drink, etc.]
1 - Course Marking:  (0)bad  (1)good
3 - Course Scenery:  (0-5) 1=bad  and 5=fantastic
0 - Mile Markers: (0)poor or none  (1)normal  (2)with clocks or time called out
2 - Volunteers:  (0)too few  (2)good
6 - Finish line: (0-9)   0=bad  and 9=spectacular!
2 - Certified Course: (0)no  (2) yes
2 - Correct Distance: (0)no  (2)yes (although it was a tad long)
1 - Partly or fully on unpaved roads:  (0)yes  (1)no

REGISTRATION 
2 - Cost:  (0)expensive  (2)reasonable  (5)cheap!
3 - Race Day Registration:  (0)no  (3)yes

RESULTS
2 - Posted online within 24 hours:  (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Easy to find results:  (0)no  (1)yes

AGE GROUPS
2 - 3 deep awards: (2)yes (0 for anything less)
5 - 5-year age groups (5 points) (0 for anything less)
1 - 14 and under group (1)
1 - 65+ group (1)
1 - 70+ group (1)
2 - Top Overall M/F:  (0)none; (1) first only; (2)top 3 or better
0 - Masters Category(40+): (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Grand Masters Category (50+):  (0)no  (3)yes
0 - Senior Grand Masters Category: (0)no  (5)yes

AWARDS
2 - Overall Winner Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
2 - Age Group Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
0 - Door Prizes or Drawing: (0-9)
3 - Finisher Medals for All Finishers: (0)no  (3)yes  (5)really cool medals

POST RACE 
4 - Food for Race Participants: (0-10 with 5 being average)
4 - Entertainment:  (0)no  (1-9)yes
0 - Finisher times posted after race:  (0)no  (2)yes

REST ROOMS 
2 - Porta Potties:  (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful
2 - Indoor Restrooms: (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful

T-SHIRTS
2 - T-Shirts: (0)no  (2)yes
4 - Design: (1-5)
3 - Material Quality: (1-3)
0 - Discount for no-shirt option:  (0)no (2)yes

PHOTOGRAPHY 
0 - Professional Photography: (0)no  (5)yes
x - Prices: (1)expensive  (3)reasonable  (5)cheap
0 - Free Photographs (newspaper, etc.):  (0)no  (1-10)yes 

PARKING 
2 - Close to Start:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Close to Finish:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Plenty of spaces:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Free Parking:  (2)yes  (0)no

OTHER
0 - Shelter from Inclement Weather (needed or not): (0)no  (2)yes
2 - Swag (free socks, water bottles, etc.): (0)no  (2)yes, some  (5)excellent
2 - Part of race series or Grand Prix:  (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Kids Fun Run: (0)no   (2)yes
x - Miscellaneous not covered above: (-10 to +10)

TOTAL:  82



Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11