Race #507 -- HOOAH OORAH ALL THE WAY 5K -- Conover, NC -- 09/11/21


I've always had a touch of triskaidekaphobia, so when a memory popped up on Facebook this week saying it was the 13th anniversary of my first race, I cringed just a little bit. It didn't help when I did the math to see how many races I was averaging per year. When I divided my total races (507) by 13 I came up with exactly 39, which is 13 x 3. I'm happy to have averaged 39 races a year over the past 13 years, but I'm not really comfortable here so I'm looking forward to my next race before something bad happens.

I didn't encounter any bad luck during the race, and it was actually one of my best 5k efforts of the year and was only the second time this year that I ran an entire race without walking.

What Was Good

  • A perfect race to commemorate the 9/11 World Trade Center attack that was exactly 20 years ago on this date, as the race was dedicated to the military and supported by the Stop Soldier Suicide organization.
  • One of the flattest 5k courses I've run this year, with only a fairly gentle uphill for about a quarter mile at the start of the race that returned the same way, resulting in a nice downhill finish.
  • I got to spend a few minutes with 95-year-old World War II veteran Byron Logan, who ran at least part of the course and drove himself to the race. He's one of the last of the Greatest Generation and I was honored that he shared a few of his war stories with me.

95-year-old WWII Veteran Byron Logan

What Was Bad

  • No race photos. Kind of odd considering there seemed to be lots of cameras, but one photog said he was just doing video, and another lady with a fancy camera said she was just taking pics for the Hickory High School ROTC.
  • Nice shirt, but I didn't get one. That's 4 out of the last 5 races that I didn't get a shirt because I signed up too late. I don't mind too much since I probably have enough shirts to last the rest of my life, but I think if a race knows they aren't giving you a shirt you should get a discount of at least 5 bucks off the registration cost.

Post-race with some friends


Race Name:  HOOAH OORAH ALL THE WAY 5K

Location: Conover, North Carolina

Date:  September 11, 2021

Race Rating:  77

Top 10 (10k):


Top 10 (5k):


Course:


Elevation by Mile:


Weather at Start:


Click Here for Race Results


My Stats:

  • Time:  24:48
  • Pace:  8:00
  • Age Group (65-69):  2 of 7  
  • Overall:  16 of 295
  • Average Heart Rate:  152  
  • Maximum Heart Rate:  164
  • Age Grade Percentage:  70.30%

The absence of race photos was offset a little bit by having a finish line video. I captured this pic from the video.
As the graph shows, I managed to not walk during the race on this mostly flat course. The red line shows that my heart rate stayed pretty steady, not hitting 160 until the last tenth of a mile when I was running my fastest.


***************

* RACE RATING *

***************


RACE COURSE 

0 - Chip & Gun Timing: (3 points if yes)

2 - Water Stops: (0)none  (2)normal  (5)extras [Gu, sports drink, etc.]

1 - Course Marking:  (0)bad  (1)good

3 - Course Scenery:  (0-5) 1=bad  and 5=fantastic

0 - Mile Markers: (0)poor or none  (1)normal  (2)with clocks or time called out

2 - Volunteers:  (0)too few  (2)good

6 - Finish line: (0-9)   0=bad  and 9=spectacular!

0 - Certified Course: (0)no  (2) yes

2 - Correct Distance: (0)no  (2)yes

1 - Partly or fully on unpaved roads:  (0)yes  (1)no


REGISTRATION 

2 - Cost:  (0)expensive  (2)reasonable  (5)cheap!

3 - Race Day Registration:  (0)no  (3)yes


RESULTS

2 - Posted online within 24 hours:  (0)no  (2)yes

1 - Easy to find results:  (0)no  (1)yes


AGE GROUPS

2 - 3 deep awards: (2)yes (0 for anything less)

5 - 5-year age groups (5 points) (0 for anything less)

1 - 14 and under group (1)

1 - 65+ group (1)

1 - 70+ group (1)

2 - Top Overall M/F:  (0)none; (1) first only; (2)top 3 or better

0 - Masters Category(40+): (0)no  (2)yes

0 - Grand Masters Category (50+):  (0)no  (3)yes

0 - Senior Grand Masters Category: (0)no  (5)yes


AWARDS

2 - Overall Winner Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent

2 - Age Group Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent

0 - Door Prizes or Drawing: (0-9)

0 - Finisher Medals for All Finishers: (0)no  (3)yes  (5)really cool medals


POST RACE 

4 - Food for Race Participants: (0-10 with 5 being average)

7 - Venue (Entertainment, Race Setting, etc.): (1-9)

2 - Finisher times posted after race:  (0)no  (2)yes


REST ROOMS 

2 - Porta Potties:  (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful

1 - Indoor Restrooms: (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful


T-SHIRTS

2 - T-Shirts: (0)no  (2)yes

4 - Design: (1-5)

2 - Material Quality: (1-3)

0 - Discount for no-shirt option:  (0)no (2)yes


PHOTOGRAPHY 

0 - Professional Photography: (0)no  (5)yes

x - Prices: (1)expensive  (3)reasonable  (5)cheap

0 - Free Photographs (newspaper, etc.):  (0)no  (1-10)yes 


PARKING 

2 - Close to Start:  (2)yes  (0)no

2 - Close to Finish:  (2)yes  (0)no

2 - Plenty of spaces:  (2)yes  (0)no

2 - Free Parking:  (2)yes  (0)no


OTHER

2 - Shelter from Inclement Weather (needed or not): (0)no  (2)yes

2 - Swag (free socks, water bottles, etc.): (0)no  (2)yes, some  (5)excellent

0 - Part of race series or Grand Prix:  (0)no  (2)yes

0 - Kids Fun Run: (0)no   (2)yes

x - Miscellaneous not covered above: (-10 to +10)


TOTAL:  77



Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11