Race #573 - Stampede for Student Success 5k - Dallas NC - 09/21/24


Another local 5k, this one at Gaston College, was my 5th race in the series, for which I have to run six races to qualify for the end-of-season awards. There weren't any nearby half marathons, so it fit nicely into my schedule. Looking back at my races, I saw that I hadn't run this race since 2021 when I finished in 25:16, so it's unsurprising that I finished about 3 minutes slower 3 years later (28:11). Ouch. Losing about a minute per year in my 5k times. I probably shouldn't complain about being slower, though, and I should just be happy I can still run.

Looking back at my Garmin data, I saw that I walked 18 times, which is a lot of walking for a 5k race. Still, the data shows that I only walked around 3 minutes total, so maybe it's not so bad. One bit of data that I haven't paid much attention to is my Heart Rate Zones (on the graph below). Seeing that 62% of my run was in Zone 5 (Maximum) makes me think that if I watched my heart rate and kept it in Zone 4 (Threshold), I might not have to walk as much. I'd like to try that and see if it makes a difference. My race next week is a half marathon, and I don't have a 5k coming up for a while, but I'll try to keep my heart rate below 155 and see if I feel less of a need to walk so much.


Race Name:  Stampede for Student Success Color Run

Location: Dallas, North Carolina (Gaston College Campus)

Date: September 21, 2024

Course:



Mile Splits:


Weather at Start:


Click Here for Race Results


My Stats:

  • Time:  28:11
  • Pace:  9:04 (actual 8:56)
  • Age Group:  1 of 3
  • Overall:  25 of 95
  • Age Grade Percentage:  64.16%


Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #474 -- Novant Health Lake Norman 15k/5k -- Cornelius, NC -- 09/29/19

Race #509 -- Novant Health Lake Norman 15k/5k -- Cornelius, NC -- 09/26/21

Race #194 - Spinx Run Fest Half Marathon - Greenville, SC - 10/27/12

Race #281 - Huntersville 5k - World Record Tether Run - Huntersville, NC - 12/13/14