Wow! — There’s a 5K Race EVERY Saturday?

With the risk of sounding like I’ve been under a rock somewhere for the last 30 years or so, I didn’t know that there were 5k races all over the place every week. I had heard about them occasionally but never paid much attention. I started checking some of the running websites and found listings for races every week within a 50-mile radius of Gastonia, and being able to run a race every week was just what I needed to stay motivated.
It’s been eight weeks since that first 5k race in Hildebran, and every Saturday since then I’ve been in a race. Six times I’ve placed either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in my age division, which is great but I know I’ve got a long way to go to be among the very best runners, even in my age division. It could very well be that I’m too old to really improve that much or just don’t have the natural ability, but that’s okay if that’s the case. Running is its own reward, and every time I get out there and run I think about how just a few months ago I was virtually unable to run any distance at all.

Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #483 -- Kings Mountain Gateway Trail 5k -- Kings Mountain, NC -- 03/13/2021

Race #521 - Hit the Brixx 10k - Charlotte, NC - 05/21/2022