Race #216 - NC Road Runners Invitational Half Marathon - Cary, NC - 05/19/13

Since it was the RRCA (Road Runners Clubs of America) state championship I decided to make the trip to Cary and give it a shot. It was a cloudy day and before the race I thought it would be good to switch to the clear lenses in my video glasses. As I was switching the lenses a small piece of plastic broke off at the top and exposed the wiring. I decided it would be best not to get it wet, so I didn't wear my glasses and don't have a video or pics for this race.

I was glad to see Peter Asciutto from Vac & Dash there, and in addition to taking some photos he gave out the RRCA state championship awards (he's the RRCA State Representative). I won the Senior Grand Masters, so that's nice, but I really had a hard time with this race. There were way more hills than I expected, in addition to probably 8 or 9 miles of unpaved roads (or I guess it was the Umstead bridle trails). I'm a road guy and don't really like getting off the pavement if I can help it. I thought it was strange that the state championship half marathon for the Road Runners Clubs of America would be run on a predominantly unpaved course.

My official chip time in this race (1:44:59) was actually a full 5 minutes slower than I ran recently in the Kings Mountain Half Marathon, which no doubt had more hills, and 10 minutes slower than the Germantown Half Marathon in late March. Looking back after the fact (I'm writing this on the following Wednesday), I believe my biggest physical problem was that I had developed what I thought was a cold that I caught from my 2-year-old granddaughter. She was over it in just a couple of days and I figured that after a little bit of discomfort I'd be back to normal in two or three days (it started for me on the previous Sunday). It turns out that I felt progressively worse every day until I decided I needed to go to the doctor yesterday (Tuesday). He put me on a prednisone dose pack and after just one day I'm feeling remarkably better, so I'm hoping I'll be back to normal for the two races I'm planning for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

The course was primarily out-and-back. Much of the first mile was down
one of those huge hills where you have to apply the brakes to keep from
losing control. I worried about having to climb back up it in the 13th mile
but was surprised when just before the hill we switched to a path along the
greenway that completely bypassed going back up that route. It was still
an uphill climb, but nearly as bad as it could have been.

This was just before the finish line, and I'm looking way more refreshed
than I was feeling, although it was nice to see the end in sight.

RRCA Half Marathon State Champions for 2013.


Click Here for Race Results

Click Here for Photos from Carolina Snapshot

Click Here for Photos on Facebook (89 Photos - RRCA North Carolina)

My Stats:

Time:  1:44:59 (chip time)
Pace:  8:01
Age Group:  1 of  5
Overall:  76 of  528 (14.4%)
Age Graded Equivalent Time:  1:24:08 (70.38%)

***************
* RACE RATING *
***************

RACE COURSE
3 - Chip Timing: (3 points if yes)
2 - Starting Mat: (2 points if yes)
5 - Water Stops: (0)none  (2)normal  (5)extras [Gu, sports drink, etc.]
1 - Course Marking:  (0)bad  (1)good
2 - Course Scenery:  (0)bad  (2)pleasant  (5)extraordinary
0 - Mile Markers: (0)poor or none  (1)normal  (2)with clocks or time called out
2 - Volunteers:  (0)too few  (2)good
2 - Finish line: (0)mediocre  (2)not bad  (5)very good  (7)spectacular!
2 - Certified Course: (0)no  (2) yes
2 - Correct Distance: (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Partly or fully on unpaved roads:  (0)yes  (1)no

REGISTRATION
1 - Cost:  (0)expensive  (1)reasonable  (3)cheap!
3 - Race Day Registration:  (0)no  (3)yes

RESULTS
2 - Posted promptly online:  (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Clear link on website:  (0)no  (1)yes

AGE GROUPS
2 - 3 deep awards: (2)yes (0 for anything less)
5 - 5-year age groups (5 points) (0 for anything less)
0 - 14 and under group (1)
1 - 65+ group (1)
1 - 70+ group (1)
2 - Top Overall M/F:  (0)none or first only  (2)top 3 or better
2 - Masters Category(40+): (0)no  (2)yes
3 - Grand Masters Category (50+):  (0)no  (3)yes
5 - Senior Grand Masters Category: (0)no  (5)yes (for RRCA)

AWARDS
2 - Overall Winner Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
2 - Age Group Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
0 - Door Prizes or Drawing: (0)no  (2)yes   (5-9)fabulous door prizes!
3 - Finisher Medals for All Finishers: (0)no  (3)yes  (5)really cool medals

POST RACE
7 - Food for Race Participants: (0-10 with 5 being average)
0 - Entertainment:  (0)no  (1-9)yes
2 - Finisher times posted after race:  (0)no  (2)yes

REST ROOMS
2 - Porta Potties:  (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful... (except just before start)
0 - Indoor Restrooms: (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful

T-SHIRTS
2 - T-Shirts: (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Design: (0)not good  (1)not bad  (2)nice  (5)beautiful!
2 - Material: (0)cotton  (2)technical fabric
0 - Discount for no-shirt option:  (0)no (2)yes

PHOTOGRAPHY
5 - Professional Photography: (0)no  (5)yes
2 - Prices: (0)expensive  (2)reasonable  (5)cheap!
2 - Free Photographs (newspaper, etc.):  (0)no  (2)yes  (5)lots of free pics!

PARKING
2 - Close to Start:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Close to Finish:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Plenty of spaces:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Free Parking:  (2)yes  (0)no

WEBSITE
2 - Dedicated race website (0)no  (2)yes
2 - Results or link to results posted on website:  (0)no  (2)yes

OTHER
0 - Shelter from Inclement Weather (needed or not): (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Swag (free socks, water bottles, etc.): (0)no  (2)yes, some  (5)excellent
2 - Part of race series or Grand Prix:  (0)no  (2)yes


TOTAL:  95

Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11