Race #225 - OrthoCarolina Classic 10k - Charlotte, NC - 08/24/13

I've been a little wary about the prospects of running a 10k since dropping out of the last 10k I ran in Gaffney a couple months ago. A pulled hamstring in the 4th mile left me limping towards the finish line and in the 5th mile I took a shortcut to the finish line and had my first DNF (Did Not Finish) in a race that I've ever had due to injury. In the weeks since then I cut my mileage to just a little more than half of what it had been. The hamstring actually felt pretty good after a couple of weeks of rest and I've run several 5k races since then but I've been a little spooked about racing the 10k distance since that time.

I decided this would be a good week to give it a try on another 10k. I'd heard about the OrthoCarolina Classic 10k for the past couple of years and thought it sounded like a good one. Linda slept in and I headed over to Charlotte by myself. I didn't know a lot of people at the race, partly due to the fact that I haven't been running a lot of the Charlotte races lately, and also because the Greek Festival 5k was going on at the same time in Charlotte. The Greek 5k is part of the Run for Your Life Grand Prix, and when it comes to racing series I tend to be either in or out. If I'm in I want to run every race; if I'm out I try to avoid those races so I don't get caught up in trying to earn points. I'm thinking that since I'm no longer traveling a lot for the Running Journal GP races, next year I might jump back into the RFYL GP and try to do most or all of those.

I'd forgotten just how hilly Charlotte could be. There weren't really any huge hills but plenty of up and down rolling hills along the way. Once again, my race video and the pics I took along the way with my video glasses can tell about the race better than I can, so here ya go...



This was the start of the 5k, which began at 7:30 a.m., 15 minutes before the 10k.

At 2 miles into the race it was still pretty crowded. By 3 miles it was much more spread out,
at least where I was.

I spent the whole race either chasing or being chased by Mitchell Rippy.
We were never more than 30 seconds apart and at the 3-mile mark we were running together and
talked some about trying to keep up the same pace until the end.
He had an easier time talking than I did!

The race course ran down to Independence Boulevard near the old Coliseum (now the Bojangles Coliseum)
and we passed WCCB-TV, home of my favorite news peeps!

At the 6-mile mark you could see barely see the finish line two-tenths of a mile straight ahead.
Always a pleasant sight!

There was a nice cheering section as we neared the finish line.


Here's my finish line photo that I purchased from the official photographer.
The original is great quality and you can download all of your races pics for just $5.
That's a tremendous deal considering that most of the time a photographer charges $20-30 for a single photo.
I hope a lot of runners will make the 5-dollar purchase to encourage them to keep it up!

Click Here for Official Race Photos

Click Here for Race Results

My Stats:

Time:  45:28
Pace:  7:20
Age Group:  1 of  5
Overall:  39 of  340 (11.5%)
Average Heart Rate:  163
Maximum Heart Race:  172
Age Graded Equivalent Time:  36:15  (74.08%)

***************
* RACE RATING *
***************

RACE COURSE
3 - Chip Timing: (3 points if yes)
0 - Starting Mat: (2 points if yes)
2 - Water Stops: (0)none  (2)normal  (5)extras [Gu, sports drink, etc.]
1 - Course Marking:  (0)bad  (1)good
2 - Course Scenery:  (0)bad  (2)pleasant  (5)extraordinary
1 - Mile Markers: (0)poor or none  (1)normal  (2)with clocks or time called out
2 - Volunteers:  (0)too few  (2)good
5 - Finish line: (0)mediocre  (2)not bad  (5)very good  (7)spectacular!
2 - Certified Course: (0)no  (2) yes
2 - Correct Distance: (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Partly or fully on unpaved roads:  (0)yes  (1)no

REGISTRATION
2 - Cost:  (0)expensive  (2)reasonable  (5)cheap!
3 - Race Day Registration:  (0)no  (3)yes

RESULTS
2 - Posted promptly online:  (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Clear link on website:  (0)no  (1)yes

AGE GROUPS
2 - 3 deep awards: (2)yes (0 for anything less)
5 - 5-year age groups (5 points) (0 for anything less)
1 - 14 and under group (1)
1 - 65+ group (1)
1 - 70+ group (1)
2 - Top Overall M/F:  (0)none or first only  (2)top 3 or better
2 - Masters Category(40+): (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Grand Masters Category (50+):  (0)no  (3)yes
0 - Senior Grand Masters Category: (0)no  (5)yes

AWARDS
2 - Overall Winner Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
2 - Age Group Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
2 - Door Prizes or Drawing: (0)no  (2)yes   (5-9)fabulous door prizes!
0 - Finisher Medals for All Finishers: (0)no  (3)yes  (5)really cool medals

POST RACE
5 - Food for Race Participants: (0-10 with 5 being average)
6 - Entertainment:  (0)no  (1-9)yes
2 - Finisher times posted after race:  (0)no  (2)yes

REST ROOMS
2 - Porta Potties:  (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful
0 - Indoor Restrooms: (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful

T-SHIRTS
2 - T-Shirts: (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Design: (0)not good  (1)not bad  (2)nice  (5)beautiful!
2 - Material: (0)cotton  (2)technical fabric
0 - Discount for no-shirt option:  (0)no (2)yes

PHOTOGRAPHY
5 - Professional Photography: (0)no  (5)yes
5 - Prices: (0)expensive  (2)reasonable  (5)cheap!
2 - Free Photographs (newspaper, etc.):  (0)no  (2)yes  (5)lots of free pics!

PARKING
2 - Close to Start:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Close to Finish:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Plenty of spaces:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Free Parking:  (2)yes  (0)no

WEBSITE
2 - Dedicated race website (0)no  (2)yes
2 - Results or link to results posted on website:  (0)no  (2)yes

OTHER
0 - Shelter from Inclement Weather (needed or not): (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Swag (free socks, water bottles, etc.): (0)no  (2)yes, some  (5)excellent
0 - Part of race series or Grand Prix:  (0)no  (2)yes


TOTAL:  93

Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #214 - Mount Holly Springfest 5k - Mount Holly, NC - 05/04/13

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12