Race #475 -- Run Around Down Town 5k -- Bessemer City, NC -- 10/12/19

It's a small race but a good one, and I'm not just saying that because the race director is a good friend of mine. It's also part of the Gaston County race series, which means there are a lot of friends there to run with (and to compete with). There are some hills but they're mostly smaller ones, and the course seems to be one of the fastest around since it results in some of my best times each year. Most years the weather has been cold for this one, but this year it was about as perfect as you could ask for, at least for me since I prefer warmer temperatures than most runners.

I spent almost all of the race running a little ahead or a little behind several friends -- Andy Wilmarth, Scott Hammontree, and Kenny Primm. Scott had a score to settle with me since I beat him in the last race. I didn't realize it until about halfway through the race but he was staying just a couple steps in back of me the whole way. I could hear him breathing but didn't know it was him until I took a peak as I rounded a corner. When I saw him I knew he was waiting for me to walk (as I usually do) so I thought it would be best if I could run the entire race. I made sure not to overdo my pace and was able to hold him off as he took a short walk break in the last mile and I opened up a little space between us. Kenny was just a second or two in back of him. Andy was just a little ahead of me and I passed him going down the final hill before the uphill finish. I knew Andy was better at running uphill than me so I wasn't surprised when he overtook me going up the hill to the finish and got me by about 3 seconds. Overall I was happy to finish 8th overall with a time of 23:14.

Best of all, it's cheap, with race-day registration only 20 bucks on race day, which includes a nice T-shirt!

Race Name:  Run Around Down Town 5k

Location:  Bessemer City, North Carolina

Date: October 12, 2019

Race Rating:  78

Winners (Top 10 Overall):


Course:


Elevation Per Mile:

Weather at Start:


Click Here for Race Results



My Stats:

Time:  23:14
Pace:  7:29
Age Group: 1 of 2 
Overall:  8 of 44
Average Heart Rate:  157
Maximum Heart Rate:  168
Age Grade Percentage:  73.53% 



***************
* RACE RATING *
***************

RACE COURSE 
0 - Chip & Gun Timing: (3 points if yes)
2 - Water Stops: (0)none  (2)normal  (5)extras [Gu, sports drink, etc.]
1 - Course Marking:  (0)bad  (1)good
3 - Course Scenery:  (0-5) 1=bad  and 5=fantastic
1 - Mile Markers: (0)poor or none  (1)normal  (2)with clocks or time called out
2 - Volunteers:  (0)too few  (2)good
7 - Finish line: (0-9)   0=bad  and 9=spectacular!
0 - Certified Course: (0)no  (2) yes
2 - Correct Distance: (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Partly or fully on unpaved roads:  (0)yes  (1)no

REGISTRATION 
5 - Cost:  (0)expensive  (2)reasonable  (5)cheap!
3 - Race Day Registration:  (0)no  (3)yes

RESULTS
2 - Posted online within 24 hours:  (0)no  (2)yes
1 - Easy to find results:  (0)no  (1)yes

AGE GROUPS
2 - 3 deep awards: (2)yes (0 for anything less)
5 - 5-year age groups (5 points) (0 for anything less)
1 - 14 and under group (1)
1 - 65+ group (1)
1 - 70+ group (1)
1 - Top Overall M/F:  (0)none; (1) first only; (2)top 3 or better
2 - Masters Category(40+): (0)no  (2)yes
3 - Grand Masters Category (50+):  (0)no  (3)yes
0 - Senior Grand Masters Category: (0)no  (5)yes

AWARDS
2 - Overall Winner Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
2 - Age Group Awards: (0)none  (2)yes  (5)excellent
0 - Door Prizes or Drawing: (0-9)
0 - Finisher Medals for All Finishers: (0)no  (3)yes  (5)really cool medals

POST RACE 
5 - Food for Race Participants: (0-10 with 5 being average)
5 - Entertainment:  (0)no  (1-9)yes
0 - Finisher times posted after race:  (0)no  (2)yes

REST ROOMS 
0 - Porta Potties:  (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful
0 - Indoor Restrooms: (0)no  (1)limited, long lines  (2)plentiful

T-SHIRTS
2 - T-Shirts: (0)no  (2)yes
4 - Design: (1-5)
2 - Material Quality: (1-3)
0 - Discount for no-shirt option:  (0)no (2)yes

PHOTOGRAPHY 
0 - Professional Photography: (0)no  (5)yes
0 - Prices: (1)expensive  (3)reasonable  (5)cheap
0 - Free Photographs (newspaper, etc.):  (0)no  (1-10)yes 

PARKING 
2 - Close to Start:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Close to Finish:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Plenty of spaces:  (2)yes  (0)no
2 - Free Parking:  (2)yes  (0)no

OTHER
0 - Shelter from Inclement Weather (needed or not): (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Swag (free socks, water bottles, etc.): (0)no  (2)yes, some  (5)excellent
2 - Part of race series or Grand Prix:  (0)no  (2)yes
0 - Kids Fun Run: (0)no   (2)yes
x - Miscellaneous not covered above: (-10 to +10)

TOTAL:  78

Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Race #212 - Run for the Money 5k - Gastonia, NC - 04/20/13

Race #174 - New River Half Marathon - Todd, NC - 05/05/12

Race #143 - Midnight Flight 10k - Anderson, SC - 09/02/11

Race #136 - The Scream! Half Marathon - Jonas Ridge, NC - 07/16/11

Race #151 - Vulcan Run 10k - Birmingham, AL - 11/05/11